Which work shoes or boots are right for me? This is the most frequent question asked by many shoppers who are looking to buy a pair of work boots. The answer to this question lies in what your specific job involves as well as what safety features you need on your work boots.
Your specific job environment is actually the most important that you should look at. Some companies have policies demanding certain employees wear certain types of safety work boots which have certain types of safety features. So if you work in such kind of company, your first great resource is to ask your job supervisor and or even co-workers about what to buy. The problem with this approach is that you’re likely to get one particular style or one brand. This might or might not be the best for you. However, you can research boots with these features so that you can find your style.
Many online shopping sites create several categories of work shoes for specific occupations such as:
- Lineman Boots
- Fire Boots
- Mining Boots
- Logger Boots
- Oil Rigger Boots
Take note that while the above-mentioned boots are appropriate for the occupation, your employer may have more strict requirements such as a requirement for Metatarsal Guards
The following is a list of the type of safety features that each work boot should have. Please note that in many cases you might need a combination of several features for your particular work environment, such a requirement for a Composite Toe Cap and Electrical Hazard Protection.
1. Electrical Hazard Safety Footwear. These safety boots and shoes are made for folks who work with high voltage equipment or where or might come into contact with a live electric circuit. The boot has insulating properties to prevent electrical shock. This kind of footwear should, however, never be worn in places where static discharge may lead to problems.
2. Heat Resistant Safety Boots. Here, the main thing to check is what temperature conditions you are likely to face.
3. Insulated Safety Boots – Like heat-resistant boots, the temperature in your work environment is your what you want to consider here. You may also want to look at the materials used and the weight of the boot.
4. Metatarsal Work Shoes – A metatarsal guard usually protects your feet’s instep area from objects that fall on it. You should also ensure the metatarsal guard meets ASTM Standard F2413-05 for Metatarsal footwear.
5. Puncture Resistant Boots – These safety boots helps to prevent penetration of certain objects (especially sharp ones) through the bottom of the shoe. You should as well make sure the guard meets ASTM Standard F2413-05 for puncture resistant boot
6. Slip Resisting Work Boot- If you work in a place where the floor may be slippery, you might probably want to get a work boot or shoe with a slip-resistant sole.
7. Static Dissipating Work Shoe – These work boots or shoes are made for folks who work on sensitive electronic equipment like circuit boards. The soles on this kind of footwear help disperse static electricity while walking around and can go a long way in reducing any accumulation of a static charge. These shoes and boots should never be worn in a high voltage area.
8. Safety Toe Boots – These work shoes and boots should also meet ASTM F2413-05 standard for toe protection. The most common type of toe caps on the market are Steel Toes. Composite toe caps are usually more expensive than steel toes, but they’re much lighter weight and don’t conduct cold, heat, or electricity.
These important factors are what you need to consider when searching for the right footwear for you.
Benefits of Wearing Work Boots
Work boots or shoes are a part of personal protective gear what you should have at all times in your workplace. These boots ensure your safety and protection while working. They can protect your slips and falls which can lead to serious injuries. This is for people who work in places with slippery floors. Work boots can also protect you from burns. If a corrosive chemical spills on your feet, it can cause serious tissue damage but with the right footwear, this can be prevented. Work boots can also protect you from electrical shock if you work high voltage areas or in places where you can come into contact with live wires.
When planning to buy boots, it pays to first read online work boots reviews about the particular boot before buying. They will help you make an informed decision.